Anybody can live in an aesthetically pleasing home if they set their mind to it. However, you're reading this because you discovered that designing a space can get pretty costly. The basics alone (furniture, wall paint, etc.) can make you feel like you're rolling in dough.
It's understandable if you're concerned about having less money left for decor. That’s okay, too. In fact, there are loads of affordable decorative finds and design techniques that can make your pad look and feel amazing. And you will find all of these ideas in this article! Here are seven low-cost decor ideas that look expensive, from affordable neon signs to custom wall art.
Using Affordable Neon Signs for a Luxurious Look
First, let's tackle some essential facts about an affordable neon light, which is the main focus of our list.
Are They Really Affordable?
Most people think that LED neon signs cost an arm and a leg. The average pricing for custom neon signs ranges from $270 to $1,000, which isn't exactly pocket change. But hear us out! There are many cost-effective sides to neon signs that you haven't figured out yet.
- The pricing depends on the size, complexity of the design, or material used.
- LED neon signs are more affordable in the long run because they incorporate low-energy bulbs.
- LED neon signs require minimal upkeep. There's no need to spend much on cleaning and repairs.
- Some companies offer a more affordable neon sign line. Neonize, for instance, offers neon signs that start at only 247 USD, while custom neon signs start below 200 USD.
So yes, they're not necessarily pies in the sky. You can absolutely include these luxurious-looking pieces in your budget decorating kit!
Benefits of Cheap Neon Signs for Home Decor
What else can cheap neon signs with LED lights offer besides affordable pricing?
- They're super eye-catching!
- You can keep them on 24/7 without worrying about electric bills or overheating.
- They're incredibly versatile. Use them to spruce up your shop or home and for various purposes (more on this in the next section).
- They instantly add a pleasing vibe to a room with minimal design.
- They are safe to use, unlike traditional neon glass tubes that are too fragile, heavy, and contain mercury.
Creative Ways to Incorporate Neon Signs In Your Home Decor
Considering using LED neon signs? Here are fun, creative ways to blend them well into your space.
- Use LED neon signs as your space's focal point. Set it as the centerpiece of your entertainment area or home bar.
- Add a pop of color or ambient lighting by adding a neon light to your shelves or night tables.
- Create an interactive gallery. Hang a collection of smaller neon signs on the wall to create a colorful and eye-catching image or tell a story.
- Combine neon signs with other lighting systems or decorative pieces to create visual harmony or dynamic lighting schemes.
- Place neon signs in unusual but safe areas of your home for a unique touch.
- Use custom neon lights to create a more personalized design, such as a symbol or quote that reflects your character or preference about something.
- Use LED neon signs to give directions (if your home needs one).
5 Other Low-Cost Alternatives to High-End Decor
Neon signs are just the beginning! Let's complete your low-cost but luxurious-looking home decor kit with five more ideas.
Declutter and Rearrange
Before stressing about what you can't afford, look at the stuff you already have. Get rid of old and damaged items! They will only put a damper on your interior.
For things you think are still worth keeping, consider rearranging them. Never underestimate the power of placement! It will give your space a completely different look, so give it a shot and ensure your place is a clean slate before adding new decor. All you need is a little elbow grease, time, and a dash of creativity.
DIY Decor Investments
DIY projects are low-budget lifesavers! If you have a knack for making art on your own, why not use that talent to craft fancy decor? There is no limit when it comes to DIY decor ideas, but here are some examples to get your creative juices flowing:
- Frame your masterpiece to inject a more personalized feel into your home.
- Decorate family photos and hang them on walls or mount them on tables.
- Find inexpensive artwork or purchase everything you need to create your own from local craft shops.
- Trim your curtain panels instead of buying new ones.
- Hang your own masterpieces as parts of a gallery wall.
- Customize the backsplash of your kitchen, laundry room, or bathroom. You can find cheap tiles or wallpaper that are also easy to install. Or, you can always paint it yourself!
Thrift Store Finds and Upcycling Projects
Are you hunting for eccentric and affordable decorative pieces? Thrifting is THE solution for you! Hit up your local thrift stores and see what catches your eye. You'll find all sorts of stuff that have been pre-loved, adding a sweet, sentimental vibe to them. If you're into things with a bit of history, thrift store finds are totally your jam!
The best part of it? You can repurpose or upcycle thrift store finds! Think of it as giving new life to old items and personalizing them for your home decor.
Some popular thrifting and upcycling projects include the following:
- Painting furniture or objects
- Repurposing old picture frames into jewelry holders or shelves
- Using a fancy slipcover on a dated sofa
- Customizing your end table with a little paint and imagination to make it look brand new
- Transforming your vintage suitcases into stylish storage solutions
- Decorating your bookcase interior with a small amount of wallpaper to infuse it with personality
- Do you keep wine bottles after home parties? Don't throw them away; turn them into fancy flower vases instead!
Incorporating Natural Elements and Textures
Using nature-like elements and textures is another low-budget way to add a high-end feel to your space. They will also add a warm, calm, and welcoming atmosphere. But what exactly are these natural decor elements? How can you effectively use them without costing a pretty penny? Here are some lush ideas.
- First, potted plants! Bring the outdoor greenery into your home for a fresh ambiance.
- Hit the nearest flea market to shop for woven baskets, wooden pieces, and soft fabric materials (e.g., linen or jute).
- Let the natural light in.
- Incorporate neutral colors.
- Hunt for shops that allow you to settle a great deal on a real granite or limestone countertop (though this can be difficult to find).
- Look for fluffy couch pillows, soft rugs, and cozy throws to add a sense of comfort to your space.
Mirrors are seriously underrated in interior design! They can make a massive difference to a space, especially in small rooms. A big mirror can make a cramped area feel way more spacious and airy.
So next time you're sprucing up your place, remember to throw in a mirror or two! You can go big and cover an entire wall, prop it up against a wall, or even mix and match different mirrors per room to create visual interest.
Combining Your Affordable Decor Ideas for Maximum Impact
You should have completed your list of cheap home decor ideas by now. The next step is to stir them all together in ways that positively impact your interior. Here's how.
Play With Colors and Lights
The first key to effective decoration is understanding how colors and lights play a role in design. If you want to transform your space, figure out how to use these two elements correctly. Take a look at our tips to get the hang of it.
- Welcome as much natural light as possible into your home, and use mirrors so the light can bounce off. This makes the space look visually spacious.
- When in doubt, stick to neutral colors (e.g., gray, beige, cream, yellow, etc.) They complement almost anything!
- Add bursts of color here and there using accent objects.
- Are bold, deep colors your thing? That's fine, too! Colors like purple, gold, or deep navy create an elegant and glamorous contrast to your space. Be sure to choose deep hues with shiny finishes for a luxurious flavor.
Layer Elements for a Cohesive Look
Layering your decorative elements means mixing different textures and patterns to create an interior look that's both stylish and functional. It's also about adding depth and interest to your space. Below are a few layering tips to help you out.
- Start with a neutral set to serve as a foundation for the other decor elements.
- Layer in decorative pieces that complement the neutral base.
- Insert visual interest on the walls by adding mirrors, artwork, or shelves.
- Add more personalized decor, like vases and or your favorite sculptures.
- Place large artwork on one wall and smaller pieces on the opposite wall.
- Balance bold patterns with solid-colored objects.
- Take notice of negative spaces and leave some that way to avoid clutter.
Get Your Affordable Custom Neon Signs from Neonize
There's no need to break the bank to give your house a high-end look. Tons of affordable decorations are everywhere, and all you need is to put in extra effort to hunt them down. When in doubt, use this blog as your guide shopping list!
And speaking of cool decorations, if you're considering getting lighted signs, you should check out Neonize. Explore our collection of handmade LED neon signs crafted by professional designers or avail of our custom neon signs service for specific requests. We could be the best seller of neon signs you're looking for!